The shooter's brother, Joey had died the year before and he had been a golden boy. His grades were perfect and besides being extremely athletic he was also extremely attractive and popular. Peter (the shooter) was always compared to Joey and Peter was Joey's opposite in many ways. Peter was constantly bullied in school and Joey was an avid participant in the bullying of his own brother. This by itself is wrong but their parents didn't really do anything about it which I truly don't understand.
After the shooting happens both of Peter's parents are very upset, of course. His mom, Lacy is visiting him in jail while his father cannot even bare it. Lacy works at a Midwife practice and they are loosing clients because soon to be mothers do not want someone who's son killed many people delivering their babies. I think that the way the women are treating Lacy is uncalled for and disgraceful. It is not like Lacy told her son to do any of those bad things and it can truly happen to anyone. These women doing these things to Lacy is added on stress that she does not need. I find it very disappointing in other women that they could be as rude as to just simply leave the practice because of Lacy. She is the kind of character that doesn't let things get in the way of her correctly doing her job and these women judging her and making her feel bad based on something that her son did, that she had no control over, is completely wrong. She feels enough guilt and sadness already and their oblivion to her emotions are disgraceful. Lewis on the other hand, Peter's father has been asked to take some time off from work. They say they will still pay him and this would make many people very happy. Not Lewis though. Going to work is the only thing that keep his mind off of the awful thing that his son did and them not allowing him back causes much pain for him because his work is something he is truly very fond of. I believe that people need to recognize that Lacy and Lewis are going through the same amount of pain from this event as they are, if not worse pain because it was their son.
Peter's attorney, Jordan McAfee is also being prosecuted for doing what many other attorney's don't have the guts to do. McAfee is just trying to help and he is doing the right thing, Peter does need someone bright on his side in court. Somebody poked holes in his tires on his car and when he called the police to report the vandalism, because that is what it is, the police didn't even really seem to care. He is glared at in public for doing his job, I find this crazy. Peter is obviously going to jail because they know he committed those murders so people should give his family and attorney a break.
Although I am almost done with this book I am still expecting major plot twists and changes. I am looking forward to seeing what happens in the end!
Isabel! Ahh that's so funny because I'm in the middle of reading the same book it's so good right? I wasn't even really thinking about his brother joey until you brought it up. I totally agree, I think that maybe all the bullying along with the fact that his brother was the "perfect child" maybe had something to do with the fact as to why he shot all these kids. I also feel really bad for Lacy because she blames herself and she shouldn't! Finally I wonder if Josie might go see Peter in jail. Good post!!
ReplyDelete