Thursday, January 24, 2013

Someone Like You

     In Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen, the main character, Halley goes through many changes as the story progresses. I think it always revolved around Scarlett, Halley's best friend who was giving birth to her dead boyfriend's baby. I think Halley seems like an amazing friend. Throughout the whole book, with Scarlett being pregnant and moody all the time, and her boyfriend Macon's private life that he is always excluding her from. Halley also has quite the mom. Her mom is a therapist and is always reminding Halley of the times when she told her everything.

     In my opinion Scarlett is a normal 17 year old girl who everything happens to. While I was reading the book I started to think. What if I was put in her situation? Would I be able to cope? And while I was thinking that, over and over again I also thought about how reassuring I could be to a pregnant best friend. Not very. As I was thinking about it, I realized that maybe even though Halley made it seem easy, it wouldn't be easy for anyone. Even Halley. 

     This book reminds me of a tv show I really enjoy watching, Glee. In Glee one of the main characters, Quinn, gets pregnant. Quinn feels depressed and she is lonely because she doesn't really have any true friends. The one difference is Quinn doesn't have a friend like Halley to help her through the whole thing. In the end of the season Quinn ends up giving her baby up and completely regreting it. Through this connection I realized that I need to make sure I am always there for my friends and family. 

     I think after reading this book it made me realize that boyfriends will come and go, and so will some friends. But your parents will always be there for you and so will your best friend. Halley was there for Scarlett, always, and that made me think about how I'd like to be there for my best friend and I know she will always be there for me Scarlett kept a lot from her mom in this story and I think that was a mistake as well. Her mom wanted to be there for her and wanted to support her but she just kept pushing her away.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post it is very well written and organized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isabel, i like how you made connections with yourself, the book, and a realization that you noticed from a Tv show connecting to the main character of your book. This post, not only wants me to read the book, but also makes me want to think about Scarelett, the girl who is actually pregnant. Did the author include inside looks in her feelings? Does she have a devotion to her baby? What does she plan on doing with it when its delievered?

    ReplyDelete