I am still reading the book, The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. Something major has just happened that I think will affect the way the rest of the book pans out. Leo's son, Isaac just died. Shortly after Leo goes through a realization phase in which he realizes that he was only really living for Isaac.
I believe that when Leo said that Isaac was "the reason he got up in the morning, the reason he ate food, the reason he stayed alive" he really meant it. Leo is very very old and poor and has pretty much lost everything in life, expect for one friend, Bruno. Isaac is Leo's son but grew up not even knowing who Leo was because Leo and Isaac's mother were never married.
I believe that Leo has a wonderful gift of patience. He can wait for days and days and do nothing, expect nothing. He waited years to collect pictures of his son. Multiple times in the story he has literally just waited weeks in anticipation for a few hours. I do not understand how he does that. I am not a particularly impatient person but it would be almost impossible for me to wait a year for one photograph.
I think I have a life lesson to learn from Leo. If he is in such old age and willing to wait weeks to do a nude photo shoot (a little odd, I know) I think I should be able to wait one week for the newest episode of my favorite tv shows. He is so patient and I think his patience is what is making him so happy in his old age. If you think about it, he has nothing left but the little, small, almost nonexistent joys of everyday life and him being excited for those little things, and having the control to wait for them is what is really helping him to keep on succeed.
This book currently has two stories running at the same time. I do not yet know how they will connect but I hope to find out soon because I feel like the characters would really benefit from knowing each other. I hope their paths cross soon, I'm getting a little impatient!
hi isabel, i really enjoyed reading your blog post that book seems really interesting and it seems like theres a lot going on in it. how did he son die? why is he doing nude photoshoots? does he ever meet bruno?
ReplyDelete